Anyone can get into university in Canada!
That doesn’t mean everyone can get into every program at every school…
…But it does mean that every student who believes they deserve a shot at a university degree can enter Canada’s post-secondary education system, at any age, with or without a high school diploma.
Most people don’t think about the variety of ways to enter university because they never had to. If you went to university, chances are you went to a public, separate or private high school, got a high school diploma, and applied to university with your graduating class. Some of you may have taken a year or two off between high school and university to work or travel. A few of you spent multiple years outside of the classroom before undertaking a university education. And a lot of you never went to university at all. Most of you, though, had no reason to discover the different paths you could have taken to university because it was assumed that you would finish high school and go on to university.
But what if you don’t want to follow a traditional path?
- What if you never finished high school but know you could do well at university now that you’re more mature and know what you want?
- What if you are working grade levels ahead of your age and high school is just holding you back?
- What if you find a great school or program that doesn’t offer a high school diploma?
- What if you are a student athlete or performer and have trouble fitting traditional high school into your schedule?
- What if you have a unique opportunity to travel, volunteer, intern, or work and decide that this experience will enrich your education more than going to high school?
- What if you were homeschooled as a child and want to continue with a self-directed education through your high school years?
- What if you live in a remote area and the closest school is too far away to be practical?
Below are several different ways you can apply to university in Canada, some traditional and some not so traditional. Everyone can be accommodated in the Canadian university system, regardless of age and academic background. Even if you’re in high school right now, you may find a path to university below that appeals to you more than finishing your high school diploma. All students need to know that although a provincial high school diploma can lead to university admission, it is by no means the only way to get into university. It’s not even the simplest way!
So if you’re wondering how to get into university in Canada, take a look at all the valid kinds of applicants that can apply to Canadian university: